Friday, February 22, 2008

Good Soldier

2008, and a global war is raging. Some live on the virtual side of the war, like those of us on the West Coast. Some are not as fortunate. Like in past times of dramatic global upheaval, arts, culture, and sciences have been there to provide a welcome distraction to troubled times, healthful perspectives -- and when on point, canny insight into our complex nature and the condition of person-hood.

I am so proud to be part of arts culture. I consider it not only a delight, but an abolute responsibility to show creative civic leadership -- in whatever ways that I can.

Today and everyday, I applaud those working in all creative fields. Those who work tirelessly, whether in private or in the public eye, to put our species on a positive track, expanding our awareness of ourselves -- and of other worlds. The creative fields of arts and sciences are armed with the best minds and hearts, poising our lives for new worlds of exploration, extending hope and new forms of humanity.

I often tell people "It may look like I'm in the business of art ..but really I am in the business of Hope." Everyday is an opportunity to transform our lives into something better -- and inspire others to do the same. Onward and upward!

No comments: